Gor Mahia 0-1 Mathare United

Kenyan Premier League
Sunday, April 30, 2017

Mathare United broke its six match winless run with a convincing 1-0 win over record Kenyan Premier League (KPL) champions Gor Mahia in a Round 8 league match played at the Thika Stadium o Sunday 30 April.

"Gor are clearly confident of victory but seriously underestimate your talents and teamwork. So prove them wrong today," read the Chairman's word of encouragement for the team hours before kickoff.

That message seemed to have sparked a siege mentality in the dressing room and the result was a historic win over K'Ogalo. If there is any regret that Gor Mahia could have from this encounter it will be failing to promote Cliff Nyakeya to the senior team alongside Amos Nondi in 2016.The former Gor Mahia youth winger scored the all important goal of the encounter at the half hour mark after tucking his side footed finish at Boniface Oluoch's near post.

It was virtually the only positive moment the lads had in a match that Gor Mahia did everything but score. Jean Baptiste Mugiraneza had the first chance for the hosts in the sixth minute after a counter attack move involving Karim Nizigiyimana and Meddie Kagere found him inside the area but he blazed his shot wide.

Opiyo's saves

Moments later Andrew Juma failed to clear in the box and the ball fell kindly for Kagere who fluffed his shot from close range.The hosts continued to pile pressure and in the 20th minute Kagere had another go at goal but Levis Opiyo saved comfortably.Opiyo pulled a save from the top drawer in the 29th minute when his outstretched palm kept out Kagere's header from point blank range.

Then the crucial winner arrived on the other end after Chrispin Oduor found Nyakeya at the far post with a well weighted delivery. Gor Mahia sought a reply almost immediately but Karim Nizigiyimana's cross across the face of goal went unattended with Opiyo well off his line.

Missed chances

Mugiraneza's header then crashed on the side netting after Karim picked him out on the back post and that proved to be his last touch of the game as he was replaced by Amos Nondi in the secondd half as the hosts stepped up their pursuit for an equalizer.

Innocent Wafula also joined the fray in the second half as Gor Mahia continued to threaten but Opiyo kept the Slum Boys in the game with two fine saves.

A combination of astute defending and superb goalkeeping saw the lads hold onto the slim advantage for the entire second half as Gor Mahia camped in their half.

Historic win 

The result, Mathare United's second win over Gor Mahia in seven years, sees the club climb to 12th place with 9 points.