Nyakeya slays Muhoroni at Ruaraka

Cliff Nyakeya beats his marker to the ball during the KPL match against Muhoroni Youth. He scored the winner in the 2-1 victory over the relegated side.

Cliff Nyakeya scored the winner as we beat Muhoroni Youth 2-1 in a Kenyan Premier League (KPL) match played a the Ruaraka Grounds on Saturday 11 November.

Edward Seda opened the scoring in the 44th minute before Maxwell Onyango restored parity five minutes after the restart. Birthday boy John Mwangi then set up Nyakeya for the winner moments before the hour mark to ensure we bagged maximum points.

The lads came into this match with a spring in their step following their 2-1 win against Nzoia Sugar that gave us a real chance of survival. Muhoroni Youth, on the other hand, only had pride to play for after suffering a heavy 7-0 defeat at the hands of Kariobangi Sharks that confirmed their relegation.

Slow start

After a cagey first ten minutes the tie finally came to life in the 13th minute when Jacobs Faina lost the ball at the edge of the box. Chris Ochieng’ grasped the opportunity with both hands, dribbled into the area before powering a rasping drive that missed the target narrowly.

Bliss Kityo then found himself on the end of a great passing maneuver on the other end but his shot went awfully wide as both sides settled into the game.

A scrappy period of play ensued thereafter with the wet surface slowing down the tempo of the game before Ochieng’ brought the game back to life at the half hour mark. John Mwangi dispossessed Faina, skittered into the box where he slid a pass behind Edward Seda. Ochieng’ however kept the chance alive with a low cross across the face of goal that was cleared for a fruitless corner.

Ochieng again asked questions of rookie Muhoroni goalkeeper Said Said with a low drive from the left but he went full stretch to get his fingertips on the ball. The pressure from the men in yellow finally burst Muhoroni’s bubble a minute to the break.

Cliff Nyakeya showed great bravery to slide a pass towards Seda through a forest of legs in the area and Seda repaid his hard work with a sweeping finish past Said to ensure we went into the break leading.


James Omondi’s charges returned a different side after the half time team talk and it was no surprise when they levelled the scores six minutes after the restart. Maxwell Onyango capitalized on a defensive lapse in our area to blot what was turning out to be an impressive debut for Mark Kioko.

Their joy was short lived as we reclaimed the lead shortly afterwards through Cliff Nyakeya. It was a sweeping team move that always looked likely to end with the ball in the net once Chrispin Oduor initiated it at the middle of the park.

Nyakeya winner

A lovely diagonal found Mwangi in acres of space on the left. With a clever dummy he made light work of Fred Indimuli before stepping into the box where he picked out Nyakeya with a low cross at the back post. The youngster kept his cool to tap into the bottom right corner.

The tie crumbled into a tactical affair thereafter with Francis Kimanzi introducing Elijah Mwanzia to boost his attack. Omondi replied by sending Farouk Mudola into the fray.

However we held our guns with the introduction of Andrew Juma galvanizing our defence to ensure we protected our slim lead to the final whistle.

Starting XI: 1. Mark Kioko (GK) 25.Samuel Olwande 20. Martin Ongori 6. George Owino (C) 23.Lennox Ogutu 22. Roy Okal 4.Edward Seda 29. Chrispin Oduor 13. John Mwangi (63’ 17. Elijah Mwanzia) 11.Cliff Nyakeya (90’ 15.Ronald Reagan) 9. Chris Ochieng’ (87’ 12. Andrew Juma)

Subs: 14. Derrick Onyango (GK) 24. Victor Ashinga 27.Tyson Otieno, 7. Harrison Mwendwa